Ukrainaflora company delivers flowers and gifts to Ukraine, accepting orders from all over the world. For more than 15 years of work, we have transported a huge amount of all kinds of goods, providing customers with sophisticated service, the best working conditions, as well as our care and love for the business we do. And we noticed that many people want to buy an orchid and give it as a gift for a birthday, March 8 or Mother’s Day, but, unfortunately, not everyone knows how to properly care for it. Today, our experienced florists will share tips on maintaining this flower so that it delights you with its beauty and grace.
Secrets of choosing an orchid
This flower, like all beauties, is capricious and picky. In order for an orchid to please you with a well-groomed, healthy appearance for a long time, it is worth figuring out how to choose an orchid in a store and what features to pay attention to.
- Do not choose plants with cold, wet roots. In such conditions, when the temperature drops below 20°C and with high humidity, the orchid may “throw off” its flowers.
- It is important to ensure that the leaves have a deep green color and are free of cracks, yellow spots and mold. (This should not be confused with minor transport damage, which will not affect the health of the flower in the future.) If you notice purple veins, do not be alarmed: for varieties whose flowers also have purple shades, this coloring is the norm.
- The presence of dark wet spots on the stem, especially at the very base, should also be alarming.
Focus on an orchid with large flowers and dense green root mass. Most likely, a plant with such characteristics will develop quickly and give true pleasure from its aesthetic appearance.
Please note that the smaller the orchid, the fewer roots it has, and it is through them that the bush grows. It will not be easy for beginners to “get out” of a plant immediately after purchase if it has even minor health problems: there are black spots on the growth point of the stem, mold on the leaves, etc. Therefore, it is much easier to care for an adult large individual than for a young and miniature.
Caring for an orchid after purchase
Let's consider step by step what needs to be done with the plant immediately after it gets to your home:
- Leave the flower in the bag for a day so that it can “get used” to the temperature in the most protected conditions.
- In the first days, an orchid may shed several flowers or even all its buds, but with proper care, after six months it will release flower stalks again and bloom for a longer time.
- At this time, you can water the orchid only along the edge of the pot, so as not to damage the peat glass in which the seedling was located before it was transplanted to the plantation. In the first week, it is better not to water the plant at all, so that it has time to adapt to the new conditions.
- Sometimes after purchase you may notice that algae has grown inside the pot. This does not pose a danger to the roots, but it means that the orchid was overwatered at one time. To prevent the root system from rotting and to be well saturated with oxygen, make holes in the pot in the place where it bloomed using a hot nail, knife or soldering iron.
- The flower must be kept in quarantine for one month. This means that during this time the new plant should stand separately from other flowers and remain in the pot in which it was purchased.
- Make sure there is good lighting. If it is not possible to place the orchid on a separate windowsill, then you can place it under a regular LED light bulb, directing the light onto the leaves and not the flowers.
- The next period is adaptation. For another three to four months, it is worth carefully monitoring the health of the plant. At this time, the orchid does not need to be replanted, fed or stimulated. Until it takes new roots, there is no need to carry out additional manipulations.
We are often asked: “When can you replant an orchid?” We recommend doing this after the plant goes through a period of adaptation, produces new ground or aerial roots, and, even better, new leaves. Flowering does not affect transplantation.
Why can’t you fertilize an orchid the first time after purchase? In nurseries where flowers are bred, they are often fed so that they grow as quickly as possible. The orchid absorbs substances very slowly, so if you feed the flower additionally during the period of quarantine and adaptation, it is easy to simply overfeed it.
Optimal conditions for orchid growth
To ensure that the plant spends energy only on maintaining the beauty of the buds, and not on fighting external irritants, follow the following tips:
- The temperature in the room should be constant - from 22 to 25°C.
- You should not often move the orchid to different parts of the room. Moreover, it is not recommended to spin it in a pot. It is important that the flower is always oriented in the same position relative to sunrise and sunset - such conditions are as close as possible to natural ones.
Where to buy an orchid as a gift with delivery in Ukraine
Purchasing from the Ukrainaflora online store is a guaranteed way to get quality plants and professional service. Here are five reasons why you should pay attention to our resource:
- Delivery to any location in Ukraine. We provide the opportunity to send orchids to the most remote corners of the country, which allows every plant lover to enjoy their beauty and splendor.
- We accept orders 24/7. Thanks to the 24/7 operation of the site, you can choose products at a time convenient for you, without restrictions or rush, and then receive recommendations from our specialists in an online chat.
- Democratic cost. Ukrainaflora offers reasonable prices for a wide range of orchids, making them accessible to all lovers of beauty.
- Free shipping when you reach a certain amount. This benefit allows you to save money when you buy multiple plants or make large orders.
- Discounts and promotions. With our competent pricing system, you can enjoy beautiful plants at competitive prices.
Order orchids in Ukraine and make a special gift for your loved ones with our Ukrainaflora delivery service!